The Glass Recycling Company’s (TGRC)’s Annual Schools Competition results are out and once again the winning
schools around the country have been recognised for their dedication to protecting our environment through glass
recycling. In 2018 alone, schools across the country collected a total of 723 tons of glass, nearly 2.2 million glass
bottles and jars.
TGRC’s Annual Schools Competition aims to motivate learners and teachers to make green choices for the
improvement of our country. Increased awareness of the negative impact of pollution in our public spaces, such as
beaches, public parks and roads has brought about the need for South Africans to find better ways of disposing of
TGRC awarded Bergvliet Primary School, based in the Western Cape, with the National Winner’s prize of R20 000.
This was awarded to them over and above their R30 000 regional prize, as well as their monthly prizes. During
2018 Bergvliet Primary School collected nearly 80 tons of glass.
The Western Cape certainly lived up to its green reputation as their top three schools collected a total of
approximately 145.5 tons of glass – 436 500 bottles and jars. The three best KwaZulu-Natal schools collected 128
tons of glass or 384 000 bottles and jars. In Gauteng the top three schools collected a total of 87 tons of glass or
261 000 bottles and jars. Lastly the three top Eastern Cape schools collected approximately 11 tons of glass or
33 000 bottles and jars.
THE WESTERN CAPE REGIONAL WINNERS:
- 1st Prize Bergvliet Primary School (R30 000 plus R20 000 as National Winner)
- 2nd Prize Kenridge Primary School (R20 000)
- 3rd prize Sunningdale Primary School (R10 000)
THE KWAZULU NATAL REGIONAL WINNERS:
- 1st Prize Kloof Senior Primary School (R30 000)
- 2nd Prize Isnembe Secondary School (20 000)
- 3rd prize Ilanga Secondary School (10 000)
THE GAUTENG REGIONAL WINNERS:
- 1 st Prize Laerskool Anton Van Wouw (R30 000)
- 2 nd Prize St. Paulus Pre-and Primary School (R20 000)
- 3 rd Prize Alma Mater International School (R10 000)
THE EASTERN CAPE REGIONAL WINNERS:
- 1st Prize Herbert Hurd Primary School (R30 000)
- 2nd Prize Laerskool Kabega Skoolfonds (R20 000)
- 3rd prize Incredible Kids Day Care (R10 000)
To enter your school for this green competition and stand the chance to win great cash prizes, click here!